Medical Technology And Evaluation Week 1 Quiz Answer
Medical Technology And Evaluation
Week 1 Quiz Answer
Medical Technology and Evaluation
University of Minnesota
About this Course
Innovations in medical technologies are one of the leading areas of economic growth in the world. Whether new technologies take the form of pharmaceutical, medical device, biotechnology, information technology of some combination of these innovations, the opportunities for both private enterprise and social welfare are substantial. However, these innovations are not without cost, and require reimbursement from either a privately or publicly financed health care delivery system to enter the marketplace.
This course aims to provide knowledge of the concepts, data, and methodology required to critically evaluate new medical technologies in order to secure financial investment, reimbursement, and regulatory compliance objectives, such as FDA approval. The course is designed to provide understanding of the analytic tools needed to evaluate medical technologies. After completing this course, students will have the skills needed to:
- Understand the reimbursement systems financing medical technology use.
- Understand the role of government and regulatory agencies in the development and use of new medical technologies.
- Identify a population to be served by a medical technology.
- Use health care data to evaluate a medical technology.
- Perform cost/benefit and cost/effectiveness analysis of a new technology.
Go to this Course:
Medical Technology Assessment Environment
Which of the following is a use a potential user of medical technology evaluation results?
- Health care providers.
- All of the above.
True or False: A medical technology evaluation is just a pricing project.
How can a new technology with lower costs lead to higher health care expenditures?
- No new technologies have lower costs.
- The technology will only reduce expenditures.
- The technology is effective and used by a larger population than the current technology.
- The technology has better outcomes compared to the current technology.
What is the regulatory reason that medical technology evaluation evidence is needed?
- Only payment/reimbursement.
- Venture capitalist investments.
- Marketing approval and payment/reimbursement.
Which of the FDA approval phases occurs after FDA approval?
- Phase I
- Phase IV
- Phase III and IV
True or False: Once approved a new drug can only be prescribed for what it was approved to treat.
Approximately what percent of new medical devices require a Pre-Market Approval (PMA)?
- 90 percent
- 0 percent
- 100 percent
- 10 percent
What is the next step after a drug is approved by the FDA?
- File an NDA.
- Design the packaging.
- Conduct a clinical trial.
- Get insurers to pay/reimburse.
What aspects of medical care is covered by Medicare Part A?
- Prescription drugs.
- Outpatient services.
- Inpatient hospital care.
- Patient out-of-pocket costs.
True or False: Patients may have higher cost sharing obligations for the more expensive brand name version of a drug.